Sunday, April 11, 2010

"Once Upon a Time...Part 2--Enough Already!

I last left you with me, this 13 year old girl, who sees this 14 year old boy at a track and field day and decides she has to meet him...
So now you may be thinking to yourself "Gee, that is awfully young..!" Well, you have to remember that this is no different than any young girl who finds herself interested in a young boy; nothing more, nothing less.

Once I told my older brother about seeing this guy, his comment back to me was, "Well you'll never date him, he's really popular in school!" But I on the otherhand was oblivious. Afterall, what does being popular have anything to do with me wanting to meet this guy? ~Ahh.. the innocence of being 13 years old when anything and everything is possible; actually - I think I still feel that way:)

Ok, moving on...School started that fall and the excitement of being in high school was everything and more than I could have ever imagined. I loved school; the extra curricular activities, the socializing, the classes, and even the teachers! What wasn't there to like? And yes, I checked up on this guy who had caught my eye.
He was the president of his class, on student council and the only sophomore actually playing on the varsity football team, and OH, did I forget to mention that he was very handsome! My brother was right, he was popular, but so what?

I spent the first three months of high school taking part in many organizations and being a part of leadership rolls. There were a couple of very nice young men who paid me attention, and I back, but it never lasted but a few weeks. Afterall, it wasn't like I could date anyone yet. The extent of liking someone was sitting by them at a sporting event,having my books carried to class, ~Do they do that anymore?~ and meeting at the Friday night school dances after the big football or basketball games. That is where we could actually get physical--holding hands and dancing close! ~Looking back, we truely were SO well behaved. I honestly wonder now, what our parents were ever worried about?!~

So, in December one of the boys who had a crush on me gave me a Christmas gift;a bottle of perfume. Ok, this was getting WAY too serious for me. NO WAY was I that interested in him, so I had to gently break up with him. ~Now, as a mom of 2 sons, I have experienced payback of that-You know that saying-'what you don't understand now, you will sometime in your life.' Not fun seeing your sons hearts broken:(
On the last day of school before Christmas vacation our school had a party in the gym. One of the senior athletes dressed up as Santa and would call chosen students down and present them with a gag gift. Well, "that guy" was called down!! I immedietly noticed that he was red faced from attention, which only got worse when they presented him with a book on "How Not To Be Afraid of Girls."
Hmmm, this was interesting, obviously he must be kinda shy? Hard to believe with all he had going for him, but must be. It was then and there that I decided, enough of this going around with these other boys, I was done. This is the ONLY guy I want to meet and when I come back from Christmas break I'm going to do it! ~Geez, that was pretty mature thinking for a freshman, don't you think?~

"Once Upon a Time..." ~to be continued...
By the way,how did you meet your spouse/companion?

9 comments:

Tyne said...

I wish you could put pictures of you in High School up here! Show everyone!

Liz Mays said...

You were bold! Can't wait to hear what happened!!!!

I was always an admirer from afar.

Anonymous said...

Way to go. I started young and knew what I wanted, too. I met my husband when I was 15, told him I'd be his wife and here we are still married.

Peggy said...

Somethings are just meant to be:)
Thanks for following!

Anonymous said...

I still carry my daughter's books out of love. Met Boyfriend at our local college bar and we haven't been back since.

Life Is A SandCastle said...

My mom always says "Something are meant to be too." My husband and I crossed paths many times, but we never thought we would wind up together.

Stephanie said...

Oh Highschool. Sigh. For me it is full of bitter sweet memories:)

Kyrstin said...

I had my books carried to class for me -but that was 15 years ago!!

Tyne said...

What?!? Kyrstin... that's not how you met Nick!