Thursday, April 22, 2010

If You Can't Laugh At Yourself...

I wanted to video tape my grandson's spring concert the other night but my husband was at a meeting and he is the guy who always does the taping. In the past I had been able to fill in when necessary, but that camera died of old age--years of taping volleyball games, track meets, softball games, concerts, not to mention graduations and holidays. Wow! just writing about it makes me feel tired, no wonder it finally died!

With the new smaller camera in hand, Gary showed me how to turn it on, and then he talked me through it step by step. OK, that looked easy enough; I thought I could handle that.

The 5th grade choir starts to sing and I am ready. First-turn on the power button, next open the view finder, hmmm why can't I see a picture? Finally my daughter-in-law notices that I forgot to take off the lens cover. She's a photographer so is smarter than I am on this stuff-not that I suppose you need to be a genius to figure that out,(what does that say about me?)

Hey! there's the choir--hurray! OK, click the button to record--what the heck-- it's just flashing... Click, click, click,click click--still no recording going on--this isn't what happened at home when Gary showed me???

Finally my son takes it, and sees that the power button wasn't clicked on the right setting- I was taking pictures on the video camera. Are you kidding? What kinda video camera takes pictures?? Ugggh~

OK, now we are recording, but gee whiz where in the heck is my grandson? I see the ceiling, the floor..Oh there he is,- relief,- They are still singing. This is NOT as easy as it looks but I am determined.

The rest of the concert went fine, and at one point my daughter-in-law takes the camera to give me a break, and with calm steady hands records the rest for me. I am so impressed:)

My son remarks that he can't wait to see what my part looks like after observing me moving the camera up, down and all over the place...
My response, "Well, if nothing else, we will certainly have a good laugh!"

Wishing you much laughter in your moments of challenge:)

15 comments:

Boyd said...

So was it steady? :)

Boyd

Tyne said...

Haha! Was Boyd patient with you?

Peggy said...

Boyd- I don't know yet--haven't had a chance to watch it...I'm afraid that laughing at my taping skills will take away from the enjoyment of watching Billy!

Tyne-Actually, I'm not sure patience is the word we needed--more like concern that I knew what I was doing? He hadn't worked this camera before either. It was a "learn as you go" process. Obviously 3 heads ARE better than one!

Kyrstin said...

We all might get sick watching the concert!

Kinsey said...

LOL!!! This is the funniest post yet, I love it :)

Caution/Lisa said...

Last night I had my husband take some pictures of my friend's son during the 4th grade concert. Unfortunately, the one I had him take pictures of wasn't her son. Now we have pix of a child we don't even know!

Stopping by from FF>

Peggy said...

Caution Flag-Oh my gosh--that is hilarious! A great story to share:)

Robyn Jones said...

LOL! If it makes you feel any better...I am a seasoned photographer...and I have still done the "What's wrong with my camera?" Only to see I still have the lens cap on.... Stopping by from FF! Have a great day...

Gina F. said...

I hope when you preview the pictures on the video camera I don't feel like I'm on a roller coaster. I do get sick easily. HA! HA! HAVE A BLESS WEEKEND!!! Love to visit your blog!!!!

Gina
motherof1princessand2princes.blogspot.com

Peggy said...

Thanks Gina, I in return REALLY enjoy your blog!

cfoxes33 said...

I really like your blog! I hope you come to follow me too!

Rebecca said...

Thank you for sharing the laughter! Following from FF!

Visit me at: http://beyondmeasuring.blogspot.com

The Baby Store Plus said...

Hi,

I'm having such fun Blog Hopping the Follow Friday List!

I'm #81 on the list and now I am also your newest follower. Hope you can visit my blog and become a follower too!

Have a Wonderful Weekend!

Anna

PS: Feel free to enter our ERGObaby Infant Carrier Giveaway!
http://thebabystoreplus.blogspot.com/2010/04/win-ergobaby-infant-carrier-then-get.html

janetfaye said...

Hi! I am now following you on GFC - janetfaye from Friday Follow!

http://grammyjanetsplace.blogspot.com/2010/04/friday-follow.html

Anonymous said...

It's the same way my camera takes video, lol.