Friday, May 21, 2010

Somewhere Over The Rainbow...

Every time I hear the song Somewhere Over The Rainbow, I think of our second daughter Tyne :) She loved the Wizard Of Oz ever since she was 3 years old. She would sit and watch the movie over and over, to the point where we had to restrict it to once a day!

I have a video of her singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow sitting in the rocking chair, and swinging on the swing set. She would start out singing in her sweet little voice full of it's baby lisps and vowel, consonant substitutions ... "There's a wand that I dweamed of, once in a wullaby." ~ Oh, how precious is that?~

Tyne is our 4th child. She was welcomed into the world by her big brothers Boyd, who was 11 1/2, Blake who was 8 1/2 and Kyrstin who was 4 1/2 years old. The boys thought she should have been a boy since they already had a sister, but "Oh well, I guess a girl is OK.." And Kyrstin was THRILLED to have a sister and thought we should name her "Marlena" after the soap opera star from, Days Of Our Lives.

As you would expect, Tyne got a lot of love and attention. She had the sweetest smile and twinkling eyes, and was my little shadow; if I sat down, she was like a magnet on my lap. Every night when I would rock her to sleep, I would tell her that she was my "little honey bunny," and she, with her adorable smile would reply back, "And you are my sweetie pie."

She grew up to be a great student who loved school, and excelled in all the activities; clubs, sports, music etc...

She is now an English teacher and sharing her love of books, and literature. Tyne is a wonderful aunt and has a steady boyfriend who by the way, loves Legos too, (See Wordless Wednesday) which endears her even more to her nieces and nephews:)


All these years later, upon hearing Over The Rainbow, I immediately picture our little toddler tilting her chin upward as she hits the high notes of the songs, and then at the end, she stands and takes a bow:)

We can all take a lesson from this little girl, as our lives should be like a song; sung with gusto with a few mistakes, but at the end - good enough to receive the applause and to take the bow.
Wishing you many "over the rainbow" memories:)

7 comments:

Kyrstin said...

awwwe - I want to hear her sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow - next time I see her! :)

TIFFANY said...

What a sweet story. My singer is my third child. I love to hear her sing! Wish I could bottle it up and listen to her little six year-old voice forever!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Have a great weekend.

Tyne said...

You must have an amazing second daughter to write such heart-warming comments about! All mothers should talk that way!

This was a wonderful post! It made me miss home today! Dorothy was right, "There's no place like home."

P.S. Check out my blog: tynebodennecklaces.blogspot.com

Gina F. said...

I used to love to watch The Wizard of Oz also. My daughter loves to watch it and sing the song Over The Rainbow. I think that is one of the finest family movie around. It is suppose to be in the 90's over here tomorrow so I think I have you beat with you in the 80's. We are going to put the waterslide up tomorrow for my daughter and her friends to play on and have a nice BBQ relax day. I hope you enjoy your weekend also. ((HUGS)) :)

Gina
motherof1princessand2princes.blogspot.com

Peggy said...

Tyne, It was fun to "go back" and write about. Those were wonderful moments, and now we look foward to more of those in your life!
Anxious to see you next weekend:) Hugs, Mom

Robyn Jones said...

I love the Wizard of Oz...but my kiddos are a little to young to appreciate it quite yet... I love the name of your daughter..Tyne..If we were to have another girl it would be Merin Ceal (Seeal) She sounds like she was a fun kid... As far as my tinnitus gos, it is pretty severe..I don't know if the drugs would make it go away..although it may lower the level...removing the tumor-if that is what it is, may either lower the level or help improve my hearing... which would be great since I am a musician..I am terrified of losing my hearing... BTW...nothing "closet" about my hubby's lego addiction..he will tell anyone who will listen..LOL!

Anonymous said...

Man, that was my favorite movie too.