Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Take Me Out To The Ballgame...

This Friday we will be heading off to Milwaukee to see the Brewers play the Texas Rangers! This has become a family outing for our family these past few years. This picture was taken in '08 - Son Boyd, wife April, kids Billy and Caitlyn (the 2 taller kids in middle); son Blake, wife Beth, kids Tate(now they have baby Easton); Gary and myself; daughter Kyrstin-(expecting Addie,) (hubby Nick fishing in Canada that year), their Connor; Sitting-- daughters, Kinsey and Tyne. Pretty soon we will almost have enough to have 2 teams...working on that:)

On game day we all don our Brewer's shirts grab our gloves- in case we catch a foul ball, and head to the stadium early to do some tail gating. This includes playing catch in the parking lot along with grilling brats and hot dogs.

There is something so exciting about the atmosphere of a baseball game; the sounds, smells, vendors, and fans all add to the 'ole ballgame! I always get nostalgic and think of my Grandpa and Dad when I go to games.

They loved the game of baseball and were very good players in their day. My Grandpa was a catcher for the local hometown team as a young man in the early 1900's.

Pictured back row -last one on right holding catching gear

My Dad was a pitcher and it was told that he was asked to play on a semi-pro team as a young man in the mid 1930's but his Dad needed him at home to help farm. Always made me wonder what could have been...
Baseball holds a special place in the lives of my family, including nieces and nephews alike. I truly believe it is in your blood and if that is the case the love of baseball will go on for generations...I hope so, I think my grandpa would be pretty proud:)

9 comments:

Tyne said...

Very nice and true! Love me some baseball!

Anonymous said...

Such great photos.

Robyn Jones said...

Boy! You guys ARE very busy! Sounds like a lot of fun though....In Canada baseball isn't as big, although I have played off and on over the years..We do a lot of Football around here..our big team in Saskatchewan is the Riders...and trust me the team spirit around here is CRAZY! I never even followed football till we moved here, but now I wear green along with everyone else! LOL!

april bodenburg said...

Love that old photo of your grandpa and his team!! Very neat! :)

Missie said...

Not a baseball fan but I loved the entry. LOL

Kyrstin said...

Great post - can't wait for this weekend!!

Gina F. said...

I don't watch baseball or go to games but I do love football. We go crazy for football in my house. We won the superbowl this year too. That made it special around here since we went through alot for hurricane Katrina. Go Saints Go! Have a great weekend at the baseball game and with your family.

Gina
motherof1princessand2princes.blogspot.com

Robyn Jones said...

Peggy, I have an award for you!

Life Is A SandCastle said...

If I had a penny for everytime my mom told me it's in the blood. I believe it true:)